(WWLP) – A local fire department is warning residents not to use kerosene heaters in homes this winter.
The State’s Fire Marshal’s Office states that due to the increased risk of fire and carbon monoxide poisoning, kerosene heaters are illegal in Massachusetts, they cannot be sold or used where people live. If anyone violates this law, they are subject to a fine of $100 or more.
Agawam Rocky’s Manager John Beston told 22News, “If it’s illegal in Massachusetts, your insurance company is not going to cover it, if there’s ever a problem with it.”
West Springfield Fire Lt. Tony Spear said it can be risky to use kerosene space heaters, “The hazards with them is that it’s a liquid, it’s a flammable liquid. So it’s harder to control if they do get out of control.” Read More…